elizabethgunther2286

The Romance Reader

I like to read a little bit of everything, but my main focus is romance, especially romantic suspense and historical romance.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Seth Grahame-Smith
Hero
Alethea Kontis
Progress: 18 %
Out of the Shadows (Shadows, #3) (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3) - Kay Hooper Out of the Shadows is my favorite Bishop/SCU novel to date. For those that aren't familiar with the series, the SCU (or Special Crimes Unit) is the part of the FBI that gets called when conventional methods have been exhausted. This is because the SCU is made up mainly of psychics that have been brought together by Noah Bishop, the head of the SCU. Out of the Shadows, is the last book in the first trilogy (the series is written in trilogy form--Shadows, Evil, Fear, and Blood). Those that have read the first two books in the series know that Bishop has been searching for Miranda for years (ever since a case they had worked on together went bad and her parents and 2 of her sisters were killed). In this book, the SCU is called into a small town in Tennessee by the sheriff, who is trying to solve a series of murders, in which teenagers have been bizarrely killed. Believing that the sheriff is Miranda, Bishop gets a team together, and heads down South, where he finally comes face to face with his long lost love. However, Miranda holds herself distant from Bishop and his team, endangering herself and all of the other psychics working the case.

What I liked about this book was that it used psychics in a believable fashion. They aren't tarot card reader or into reading palms--they have actual ESP, and very rarely do they have the same ability. I also like that they don't solely rely on their psychic abilities; there is actual detective work going on at the same time, something I haven't really seen before.

At the end of the book, I was completely satisfied with how everything was resolved (including the overarching storyline about Miranda's family), and I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a paranormal series that is grounded in reality.