elizabethgunther2286

The Romance Reader

I like to read a little bit of everything, but my main focus is romance, especially romantic suspense and historical romance.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Seth Grahame-Smith
Hero
Alethea Kontis
Progress: 18 %
Deadly Kisses - Brenda Joyce Last fall, I began reading the Francesca Cahill series, and I literally devoured them...until I got to Deadly Kisses, which is the most recent book in the series. This one finds Francesca Cahill, crime-solver extraordinaire, attempting to solve the murder of Daisy, her fiancee's former mistress.

There is a lot going on in this book. Ms. Joyce felt that she needed to follow up on all of her character's storylines, which in books past had not been a real issue, but for some reason in this book it was like slogging through molasses just to get to the end. Honestly, I started reading this one around Valentine's Day, and after getting about half-way through, I had to put it down for a while. I didn't pick it back up again until around April/May, and honestly, I only did that to find out what was going on with Evan (Francesca's brother, who was disinherited by their father in the previous novel) and Maggie (the seamstress mother of Francesca's assistant, Joel) and the Braggs--I was hoping that their strained marriage might become a little less tense as the book continued. I really couldn't have cared less about what was going on between Francesca and Calder Hart, despite the fact that throughout the series I had been pulling for them.

I do plan on reading the next book in the series when it comes out in the spring, but I am not that confident that the story between Francesca and Hart will keep me as captivated as it had prior to Deadly Kisses. I just hope that my interest in the secondary characters will keep me interested enough to find out what happens.